Magick William1769 - 1860 (91 years)
Name Magick William Born 5 Mar 1769 ,Fittleworth, Sussex, England Gender Male Transportd 26 Aug 1813 ,,,England
- to New South Wales
Transportd 7 Feb 1814 ,,NSW, Australia
- arrived in colony per General Hewitt. Master Percy Earl
Census 1825 ,Richmond, NSW, Australia
- with Elizabeth Phipps. Brickmaker
Census 1828 ,Richmond, NSW, Australia
- Age 68 CP General Hewitt 1814 Life Protestant Brickmaker Richmond
Occupation 4 Jun 1834 ,Richmond, NSW, Australia Farmer Residence 1835 ,Richmond, NSW, Australia Census 1841 March Street, Richmond, NSW, Australia
- Return 425 Page 47 Reel 2223
Name William Madgewick Name William Maquirk Occupation 15 Jun 1854 ,Richmond, NSW, Australia Brickmaker Will 15 Jun 1854 ,Richmond, NSW, Australia
- My son James Magick - Trustee, executor and main beneficiary
Died 16 Jun 1860 ,,NSW, Australia Buried Aft 16 Jun 1860 St. Peter's Church of England, Richmond, NSW, Australia Notes
- On list of prisoners recommended for mitigation of sentence by Wm. Cox. "Made the bricks..."
- Parliamentary returns to landholdings: Richmond W G Magick 1 acre 9 horses 5 cattle 3 pigs
- P 917 Town allotment Deed 5 Case 239 15 june 1838 Grantee William magick Original Donee Joseph McAulding Quantity 1 acre 3 roods 11 perches Town Richmond Parish Ham Common Date of Deed 6 August 1838
Have copy of Gov Gazette
- Resident of Richmond, victim of Geary's gang 
- Conditional Pardon 31 Jul 1818 [4/4430] 774 - 125 
- From a hulk at Woolwich, John, with 123 other convicts was transferred to the General Hewitt. The ship called at Sheerness and Portsmouth to make up her complement of 300 convicts. She sailed from England on 26th August. The convicts transferred at Woolwich had been confined below deck for 27 days.
About three weeks after the start of the voyage, dysentery broke out and within a fortnight after leaving Madeira twelve to fourteen convicts had died. Three weeks prior to their arrival in Rio de Janeiro, a sudden squall drenched the convicts bedding which was on deck while the prison was being fumigated. Rain continued and the bedding could not be dried, so was thrown overboard. By the time the ship made Rio de Janeiro a great number were ill with dysentery.
From the start of the voyage, two days each week were appointed for shaving and cleaning the convicts, but this was not persisted with. They were, however, obliged to appear clean every Sunday on the quarter deck, in order to attend divine service. Once the ship arrived in Rio de Janeiro, the convicts became exceedingly filthy. There was no fresh water allowed for washing their linen and the allowance of water was reduced to three pints per man per day. About twelve ounces of soap (340g) was issued once a month to each mess of six men.
General Hewitt anchored in Port Jackson between 12 and 1 p.m. on 7 Feb 1814. Thirty four convicts had died during the voyage. Most had died of dysentery but four died of typhus, two died of apoplexy, two of remitting fevers and two of extreme debility without apparent disease.
Person ID I585 Geniaus Family Tree Last Modified 9 Jul 2014
Father Magick Edward, b. 1731, ,Graftham, Sussex, England , d. 1775, ,Fittleworth, Sussex, England (Age 44 years) Mother Moore Elizabeth, b. 1741 Married Yes, date unknown Family ID F438 Group Sheet
Family 1 Manfield Mary, d. 1837 Married 10 Sep 1793 St. Mary the Virgin, Fittleworth, Sussex, England Children 1. Magick James, b. Bef 16 Feb 1794, ,,,England 2. Magick William, b. Bef 23 Oct 1796, ,,,England 3. Magick Thomas, b. Bef 16 Jun 1799, ,,,England 4. Magick Mary, b. Bef 19 Feb 1804, ,,,England 5. Magick Ann, b. Bef 17 Apr 1806, ,,,England 6. Magick Charles, b. Bef 18 Nov 1808, ,,,England Last Modified 11 Jul 2014 Family ID F437 Group Sheet
Family 2 Phipps Elizabeth, b. Bef 20 Feb 1785, ,,,England , d. 8 Aug 1869, ,,NSW, Australia (Age 84 years) Married 4 Jun 1834 Presbyterian Church Circuit, Richmond, NSW, Australia 
- Conducted by Revd. John McGarvie, Witnesses Isabella McGarvie and James McDonald. V1834 2721 74A 1834
Last Modified 11 Jul 2014 Family ID F435 Group Sheet
Event Map = Link to Google Maps = Link to Google Earth Pin Legend : Address : Location : City/Town : County/Shire : State/Province : Country : Not Set
- [S12] SAG Primary Record, 04\\014662.
- [S13] WWW, http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/ASP/pardons.asp.
- [S48] Ancestry.co.uk, UK, Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Books, 1802-1849 Record for William Madgwick.
Name: William Madgwick
Estimated birth year: abt 1770
Date Received: 20 Apr 1813
Ship: Coromandel; Perseus; Laurel
Place Moored: Portsmouth
Date Convicted: 22 Mar 1813
Place Convicted: Horsham
- [S52] NSW BDMs, V1834 2721 74A 1834.
- [S12] SAG Primary Record, 04\\014662.