|| 1819 - 1883|
||,Wigan, Lancashire, England
||2 Nov 1837 [1, 2]
- Larceny before, convicted of Felony
Stealing 2/0s of stockings at Knowsley
Twice convicted before
||21 Aug 1845 
|5ft 4in Complexion Sallow, Hair dark Brown, Eyes Hazel. Two scars right side of nose. Slight scar outside left eye. Small blue streak inside lower left arm. |
|Certificate of Freedom
||21 Aug 1845
||,,NSW, Australia 
||Black Dick Aspinall |
||Richard Haspenell |
||10 Jul 1861
||10 Jul 1861
||Mountain Run, Trunkey, NSW, Australia
||20 Aug 1862
||9 Jul 1865
||,Carrawa, NSW, Australia
||Black Springs, Long Swamp, NSW, Australia
||Black Springs, Long Swamp, NSW, Australia 
||30 Jan 1881
||25 Mar 1883
||The Hospital, Carcoar, NSW, Australia 
- Pleuro pneumonia, Empysema
||27 Mar 1883
||Carcoar Cemetery, Carcoar, NSW, Australia 
- No headstone - cemetery index
- Richard had two previous convictions 
- Richard could read 
- Richard had stolen 2 pairs of stockings 
- Name: Richard Aspinall
Estimated birth year: abt 1820
Date Received: 1 Dec 1837
Place Moored: Chatham
Date Convicted: 02 Nov 1837
Place Convicted: Kirkdale 
- Bengal Merchant arrives from Sheerness and The Downs in 11 days
- Certificate of freedom 45/1105 
- After Mary's early death Richard reared his two little daughters by himself
- Electoral Roll
Name Aspinall Richard
Residence Long Swamp
Where Situate, or how arising Long Swamp
- Richard ASPINALL was full or part gypsy, known as 'Black Dick', as a sawyer in a timber mill also gold mining. His wife died leaving him with two small daughters who he reared himself. Magie married Jack CARNEY & Mary married James. As a small child Mary broke her leg which the doctors wanted to amputate but her father would not allow it so she was left with one leg shorter the other. She spent her last remaining years with her daughter Ethel in Kensington, Sydney. Note from Carl Matthews.
- Family legend says that Richard was a bushranger known as 'Black Dick'. Mary Jane told the story of hiding under the kitchen table when the police came to round up the bushrangers. There is a photo of Black Dick with Ben Hall and Johnny Vane in an old bushrangers book.
||Geniaus Family Tree
||27 Sep 2013 |
||Homer Mary, b. 1844, ,Rockley, NSW, Australia , d. Bef 1875 |
||10 Jul 1861
||Church of St. Michael and St. John (Catholic), Bathurst, NSW, Australia 
- Performed by James McGirr.
| ||1. Aspinall Mary Jane, b. 20 Aug 1862, ,Carrawa, NSW, Australia , d. 22 Feb 1950, 55 Kensington Road, Kensington, NSW, Australia |
| ||2. Aspinall Margaret, b. 9 Jul 1865, ,Carrawa, NSW, Australia |
- [S2828] Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England, Friday, November 10, 1837; Issue 1384. - Copy.
Kirkdale Michaelmas Sessions : To be transported 7 years Wm. Callon 19 and Richard Aspinall 17, for stealing two pairs of stockings at Knowlsey
- [S2829] Assizes, County of Lancaster 1837 Page 625.
- [S2813] SRNSW, ASPINALL Richard Bengal Merchant 1838 45/1105 21 Aug 1845 Certificate of Freedom [4/4400; Reel 1021].
- [S13] WWW, http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hcastle/grevilles/lists/jkl/loc.html#Long%20Swamp
- [S24] Death Certificate.
- [S48] Ancestry.co.uk, Australia Cemetery Index, 1808-2007 Record for Richard Aspinall.
- [S48] Ancestry.co.uk, UK, Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Books, 1802-1849
about Richard Aspinall.
- [S48] Ancestry.co.uk, New South Wales, Australia, Certificates of Freedom, 1827-1867 Record for Richard Aspinall New South Wales, Australia, Certificates of Freedom, 1827-1867.
- [S19] Marriage Certificate.