Gowans William Purves1867 - 1938 (70 years)
Name Gowans William Purves Born 26 Sep 1867 1 High Street, Hawick, Roxburghshire, Scotland 
- at 11.15 p.m.
Name William Purves Gowans
Birth Date 26 Sep 1867
Father's Name James Gowans
Mother's Name Isabella Scott Purves
Indexing Project (Batch) Number C11789-1
System Origin Scotland-ODM
Source Film Number 6035516
Gender Male Census 1871 1 High Street, Hawick, Roxburghshire, Scotland Census 1881 1 High Street, Hawick, Roxburghshire, Scotland
Immigration Abt 1884 ,,NSW, Australia
- Cannot find record of entry into Australia. Aunty Belle had said that William ran away because he didn't want the career that was mapped out for him by the family.
Residence 11 May 1890 17 Harwood Lane, Pyrmont, NSW, Australia Residence 1893 17 Stephens Street, Balmain, NSW, Australia  Occupation 15 Feb 1896 Wharf labourer Occupation 5 Jul 1896 Wharfinger Residence Between 5 Jul 1896 and 1898 340 Young Street, Annandale, NSW, Australia Residence 1898 340 Young Street, Annandale, NSW, Australia  _ATTR 3 Dec 1898 North Coast Company Wharf Sussex Strre, Sydney, new South Wales, Australia  Saved a life
- William Purves Gowans.-On December 3, 1898,
Mr. Gowans, who was on the North Coast Com-
pany's Wharf, Sussex-street, hearing cries of
"Man overboard," at once ran to the spot, and,
without divesting himself of his clothing, jumped
in ard succeeded in rescuing a youth named
Rose, who had accidentally fallen into the wa-
ter which is very deep at this spot, and Rose
was unable to swim, and would undoubtedly
have been drowned. (Awarded silver medal and certificate of merit.)
_ATTR 26 Aug 1899  Silver Medal
- The annual meeting of the National Shipwreck Relief Society of New South Wales was held in Sydney Town Hall and Gowans was awarded a silver medal and certificate of commendation.
Residence 1904 340 Young Street, Annandale, NSW, Australia  Residence 1907 352 Young Street, Annandale, NSW, Australia
- P.O. Dir. 1907
Residence 7 Dec 1909 80 Redfern Street, Redfern, NSW, Australia
- From Eliza P. Gowans birth cert.
Occupation 29 Oct 1913 Tobacconist Residence 1915 22 Eurella Street, Burwood, NSW, Australia Occupation 13 Oct 1915 Tobacconist Residence 13 Oct 1915 188 Albany Road, Petersham, NSW, Australia
- From Belle's Marriage cert.
Residence 13 Nov 1915 188 Albury Road, Petersham, NSW, Australia  Occupation 1 Sep 1923 ,Burwood, NSW, Australia Independent means. Accident 21 Oct 1924 , Rouse Hill, NSW, Australia  Occupation 1930  Tobacconist Residence 1930 Mena, Eurella Street, Burwood, NSW, Australia  Occupation 1936  Tobaacconist Residence 1936 Mena, Eurella Street, Burwood, NSW, Australia  Died 12 Apr 1938 22 Eurella Street, Burwood, NSW, Australia [10, 11] Cause: Natural causes viz heart disease probably coronary thrombosis. Obituary 13 Apr 1938 ,,NSW, Australia 
- GOWANS-April 12 1938 at his residence 22
Eurella Street Burwood William Purves beloved husband of Eliza Ann Gowans and loving father of Bella Elizabeth, John, Florrie and Jean. aged
Buried 13 Apr 1938 Rookwood Cemetery, Rookwood, NSW, Australia
- Presbyterian Section 5C 4035l. Conducted by A. M. Ferrie In loving memory of/My dear husband and our father/ William Purves Gowans/ Died 12th April 1938 Aged 70 years/ Also Eliza Ann/Beloved wife of the above/Died 29th May 1941/Aged 75 Years
- Secretary Masonic Lodge Rose of Sharon No. 116 He reached the 33rd degree in the Masons and had to travel to Scotland to receive this.
- William Purves Gowans. 3rd December 1898. Mr. Gowans who was on the North Coast Company's wharf, Sussex Street, hearing cries of 'man overboard' at once ran to the spot, and, without divesting himself of his clothing, jumped in and succeeded in rescuing a youth named Rose, who had accidentally fallen in the water, which is very deep at this spot, and Rose was unable to swim and would undoubtably have been drowned. (awarded Silver Medal and Certificate of Merit) Royal Humane Society of New South Wales.
- Per Bendigo to Sydney Age 59
Ship : BENDIGO 1922
The BENDIGO was a 13,039 gross ton ship built by Harland & Wolff, Greenock in 1922 for P.& O. Line. Her details were - length 519.8ft x beam 64.2ft (158,42m x 19,56m), one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was accommodation for 491-3rd class passengers plus 743 temporary berths. Launched on 26th Jan.1922, she commenced service from UK to Australia via the Cape in August of that year. Re-engined and converted from coal to oil fuel in 1929 which gave her a speed of 15 knots. Resumed service from UK to Australia via Malta, Suez and Colombo on 5th Jul.1929 and started her final sailing to Australia on 17th Jan.1936. She was scrapped at Barrow-in-Furness the same year. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.1, P.& O, Orient and Blue Anchor Lines]
- Arrived Fremantle
- GOWANS -The Relatives and Friends of Mrs. " ELIZA A GOWANS and FAMILY are Invited lo attend the funeral of their beloved HUSBAND and FATHER Mr William P Gowans which will leave his late residence 22 Eurella Street, Bur-
wood THIS AFTERNOON at 3 O'clock for the Presbyterian Cemetery, Rookwood. Section 5.
JOSEPH MEDCALF A F D A
372 Redfern Street Redfern Phon- M-765 (2 Lines)
GOWANS - MASONIC LODGE ROSE OFSHARON
No 116-The Officers and Brethren of the above and Sister Lodges are fraternally Invited to attend the funeral of our late Secretary Wor Bo WILLIAM P GOWANS which will leave his late residence - Eurella Street Burwood THIS
AFTERNOON at 3 o'clock for Presbyterian Ceme- tery, Rookwood. Regalia at Grave. 
- A large number of members of the Sydney Scot- tish Borderers' association and friends celebrated Burns's Anniversary with a " haggis supper," held in Quong Tart's Elite Hall, Victoria Markets, on Friday evening. The chairman, Mr Kerr, having wel- comed the company, repeated Hume's celebrated Selkirk grace. The " haggis " and other good things provided having been tdone justice to, Mr M'Dougall proposed the toast of " The King," paying a high tribute to the memory of our late beloved Queen Mr William P Gowans sang Burn's birthdayy song, '* Thero Was a Lad Born in Kyle," the chorus being taken up with vigour by all the company Mr. Stephenson proposed the toast of the evening, " The Immortal Memory of Burns " A programme of songs and recitations was carried out. The toast of " Success to the Sydney Scottish Borderers' Associa-tion" was honoured. 
- The monthly meeting of the Sydney Borderers'
Association was held on Wednesday evening, at the
SchooI of Arts, Mr W Kerr being in the chair
There was a good attendance The office-bearers for
the ensuing 12 months were us follows -President,
Mr W Kerr; vice-president, Mr W P Gowans;
secretary, Mr E. Kennedy; and treasurer, Mr. T
Clark. During the evening a programme consisting
of vocal and instrumental music and step-dances was
given, and contributedo by the following mem-
bers -Mrs. Walker, Mrs Easton, Miss Coultor, Miss
Stewart, Miss Ellison, and Messrs, McIntrye and
Person ID I41 Geniaus Family Tree Last Modified 3 Nov 2013
Father Gowans James, b. 17 Mar 1836, ,East Linton, Haddingtonshire, Scotland , d. 1 Jan 1917, 30 Dover St, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland (Age 80 years) Mother Purves Isabella Scott, b. Abt 1844, ,Hawick, Roxburghshire, Scotland , d. 12 Oct 1898, 5 Cambridge Street, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland (Age ~ 54 years) Married 26 Apr 1859 1 High Street, Hawick, Roxburghshire, Scotland Family ID F49 Group Sheet
Family Elms Eliza Ann, b. 18 Sep 1864, Rupert Street, East Collingwood, Victoria, Australia , d. 29 May 1941, 22 Eurella Street, Burwood, NSW, Australia (Age 76 years) Married 8 Jul 1896 The Registrar's Office 50 Trafalgar Street, Annandale, NSW, Australia Children 1. Gowans William James, b. 16 Oct 1890, ,Pyrmont, NSW, Australia , d. 10 May 1919, ,,NSW, Australia (Age 28 years) 2. Elms James Scott Purves, b. 1892, 17 Stephens Street, Balmain, NSW, Australia , d. 1 May 1897, 340 Young Street, Annandale, NSW, Australia (Age 5 years) 3. Gowans Isabella Purves, b. 19 Aug 1894, ,,NSW, Australia , d. 11 Sep 1994, Gosford Hospital, Gosford, NSW, Australia (Age 100 years) 4. Gowans Eliza Anne, b. 15 Feb 1896, 340 Young Street, Annandale, NSW, Australia , d. 17 Apr 1962, ,Katoomba, NSW, Australia (Age 66 years) 5. Gowans John Stewart, b. 11 Jun 1898, ,,NSW, Australia , d. 23 Jul 1970, London, England (Age 72 years) 6. Gowans Florence Joanna, b. 3 Nov 1900, ,,NSW, Australia , d. 4 Sep 1975, Nursing Home, Wentworth Falls, NSW, Australia (Age 74 years) 7. Gowans Jean Robinson, b. 1905, ,,NSW, Australia , d. 2 Sep 1955, ,,NSW, Australia (Age 50 years) Last Modified 31 Mar 2014 Family ID F29 Group Sheet
- at 11.15 p.m.
Event Map = Link to Google Maps = Link to Google Earth Pin Legend : Address : Location : City/Town : County/Shire : State/Province : Country : Not Set
Photos Eliza and William Purves Gowans
This could be a wedding photo
William Purves Gowans William Purves Gowans
- [S11] Familysearch, Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950 for William Purves Gowans.
- [S48] Ancestry.co.uk, VDirectories & Member Lists > Sands Directories: Sydney and New South Wales, Australia, 1858-1933 > 1893 > G.
- [S48] Ancestry.co.uk, Directories & Member Lists > Sands Directories: Sydney and New South Wales, Australia, 1858-1933 > 1898 > G.
- [S139] Australian Town and Country Journal (NSW : 1870 -, Saturday 26 August 1899 Page 22.
- [S48] Ancestry.co.uk, Directories & Member Lists > Sands Directories: Sydney and New South Wales, Australia, 1858-1933 > 1904 > G.
- [S2] Sydney Morning Herald, Saturday 13 November 1915.
- [S2] Sydney Morning Herald, Tuesday 21 October 1924 P9.
The accident yesterday afternoon occurred at Rouse Hill. William Purvis Gowans, 57 years, of Eurella-street, Burwood, was driv- ing his car down the hill on his way to Syd ney;' from Windsor, with Jack Douglas, an en- gineer, of Burwood, as passenger, when he turned to the side of tho road in order to avoid a patch of loose gravel, the wheels locked, and the car immediately capsized. Some people In the neighbourhood fortunately saw the accident, and ran to extricate the two men from the wreckage. After first aid had been rendered, they were taken to the Windsor District Hospital, where Gowans was admitted in a serious condition, with concussion, in- ternal injuries, severe facial abrasions, and a lacerated left hand, and Douglas, after being treated for severe abrasions, was allowed to go home. The damage to the car was con-siderable
- [S48] Ancestry.co.uk, Directories & Member Lists > Australian Electoral Rolls, 1901-1936 > New South Wales > 1930 > Martin > Croydon > G.
- [S48] Ancestry.co.uk, Directories & Member Lists > Australian Electoral Rolls, 1901-1936 > New South Wales > 1936 > Martin > Croydon > G.
- [S2] Sydney Morning Herald, 13 April 1938.
GOWANS -April 12 1938 at his residence 22
Eurella Street, Burwood. William Purves beloved
husband of Eliza Ann Gowans and loving father
of Bella, Elizabeth, John, Florrie and Jean. aged
- [S52] NSW BDMs, index number 11895l. .
- [S2] Sydney Morning Herald, Wednesday 13 April 1938.
- [S2] Sydney Morning Herald, 29 January 1901.
- [S2] Sydney Morning Herald, 8 3 1901.
- [S11] Familysearch, Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950 for William Purves Gowans.